Pediatric Urology at Herzliya Medical Center in Israel specializes in modern procedures for treatment of genitourinary disorders in children of all ages. Doctors who specialize in this branch of medicine are trained in the world’s best centers for mastery of the most advanced surgical techniques. Cutting-edge medical equipment is used to safely carry out the most complex procedures that minimize risk of any postoperative complication.
HMC’s Leading Pediatric Urologist
Professor Pinhas Livne, a former head of Pediatric Urology at one of the largest pediatric medical centers in Israel has brought his expertise to HMC as a specialist in pediatric urology. He consistently raises the bar of excellence in the field of pediatric urology and urologic oncology, meeting US quality standards.
Pediatric Urology at HMC
Recent developments in pediatric medicine in Israel have completely changed approaches to the diagnosis and treatment of many diseases, including pathologies of the genitourinary system of varied complexity. In recent years, significant technological and methodological advancements in urological surgery are incorporated into medical practice, some of which include the following:
Cryptorchidism Treatment at HMC
Cryptorchidism (undescended testicles) - a condition in which one or both of the testicles fail to descend into the scrotum. Descending of the testicles from the abdomen is characteristic of fetal development of boys; therefore, Cryptorchidism is significantly higher among boys born before the due date.
Cryptorchidism (particularly when effecting both testicles) has been linked to male infertility. Individuals who suffer from undescended testicles are also at higher risk for developing malignant transformation of cells (testicular cancer), inguinal hernia, and testicular torsion as a result of acute circulatory disorders. It is important to note that the absence of a testicle in the scrotum can implicate psychological trauma in adolescence and adulthood. Surgical intervention to treat Cryptorchidism in children at HMC in Israel is effectively carried out using hormone therapy.
Hypospadias Treatment at HMC
Hypospadias - is a congenital malformation in male genital development in which the urethral opening is not located at the tip of the penis. In most cases, the urethra opening is located on the lower surface of the penis. Hypospadias also effects the curvature of the penis. For children with this condition, there is an abnormal urine flow, which thus requires sitting when passing urine.
Severe forms of hypospadias may cause reproductive difficulty (male infertility), erectile dysfunction, and symptoms that accompany the curvature of the penis and resulting in cosmetic abnormality. In the Department of Pediatric Urology at Herzliya Medical Center, specialists recommend surgery for hypospadias treatment in Israel for children aged 6 months to 2 years. Performance of the procedure during this time allows removal of the urethral wrinkle and prevention of future complications.
Innovative Treatment at HMC
At HMC in Israel, specialists work with patients to make their experience the most successful as possible and the most comfortable by providing the following:
- Minimally invasive techniques - endoscopic surgery in replacement of techniques that require a larger incision. This is due to the technological availability of surgical optics and digital imaging to safely perform complex urologic interventions without having to resort to opening of the abdominal cavity.
- Shorter hospitalization period - outpatient urological surgery to put children and their families at greater ease, as HMC understand that hospital stays may be stressful for the child. Postoperative care and innovative surgical techniques have minimized time spent in the hospital following surgery to just one day for most patients.
- Robotic and Microsurgical techniques - Expand the possibilities of organ-sparing procedures, reduce risk of side effects and speed up post-operative rehabilitation
- Prevention and treatment of pain for children of all ages - treatment in Israel is provided based on results of scientific research reveal that pain experienced in childhood to be similar to that of adults.
Pain management is a priority throughout treatment at Herzliya Medical Center and for the many services that are offered, including:
- Endoscopic diagnosis of urinary tract
- Laparoscopic procedures on the kidney, including partial and complete removal of kidney through endoscopic processes
- Abdominal intervention for surgery on the bladder for congenital and acquired conditions, cases, and pathologies (such as bladder exstrophy)
- Treatment of vesicoureteral reflux
- Treatment of urinary incontinence using microsurgical techniques
- Circumcision for medical reasons, or at the request of parents
- Surgical treatment of cryptorchidism
- Surgical treatment of hypospadias
- Treatments for hydrocele, varicocele and epispadias
The continuous success of the Pediatric Urology clinic at Herzliya Medical Center is a result of the vast clinical experience of its specialists, including their deep understanding of child physiology and pediatrics. Each patient’s condition and treatment is monitored individually, specialists select only the best methods of treatment and consider all factors that may affect the development of their patients’ condition.