Orthokine Treatment in Israel
Herzliya Medical Center provides modern methods of treatment for age-related degenerative changes of the joints. Orthokine therapy is recognized as one of the most effective and versatile biological techniques, which inhibits the pathological process of inflammation and pain that is associated with degenerative joint disease and injuries of the joints.
What is Orthokine therapy?
Orthokine therapy is a modern method for the treatment of diseases of the joints and discogenic back pain. A type of protein, a cytokine, interleukin-1 (IL-1) is responsible for joint diseases through inflammation. Treatment involves the induction of a biological antagonist Interleukin-1-receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra) by injection, which is isolated from the patient’s blood plasma. The anti-inflammatory protective protein (IL-1Ra) is injected into the painful area, which helps to ease joint pain and reduce inflammation of damaged tissue. Orthokine therapy is one of many unique interventions for osteoarthritis treatment.
Specialists in Germany developed the technique, which primarily focused on the body’s natural ability to repair damaged tissues. The efficacy and the safety of Orthokine therapy were proven in numerous clinical studies. In Germany alone, over 20,000 patients were treated using this method.
Indications for Orthokine in Israel
Orthokine therapy is applied within a broad spectrum of conditions to treat:
- Osteoarthritis - degenerative changes of the joints (particularly the knees), chronic aseptic inflammation
- Occupational diseases - related to excessive load on the musculoskeletal system, including professional athletes and those engaged in strenuous physical activity, its anti-inflammatory properties ease painful tendons and muscles
- Degenerative changes in the intervertebral joints, including discogenic pain
During a patient’s preliminary consultation, one of HMC’s leading orthopedists determines the possibility of using Orthokine therapy, if the patient is suitable; an individual treatment program is created to achieve optimum results. The therapy is not recommended for patients with acute infection or fever.
Benefits of Orthokine Therapy
The main advantages of Orthokine therapy compared with other types of conservative treatment of diseases of the joints are:
- Treatment is based on a completely natural biologically active ingredient of the human body, without the need of chemical additives – fewer side effects
- The technique has a pronounced and persistent analgesic effect
- Halts the chronic inflammatory process and has a long duration of action
- Helps to restore mobility and increase the range of motion in the joints
- Highly effective in 75% of patients, particularly osteoarthritis of the knee and hip joints
The Orthokine Procedure
- Blood is taken from the patient. The procedure is carried out similarly to a blood sampling for laboratory testing and is not pain-associated
- Blood is incubated at 37°C, which stimulates the production of IL-1Ra.
- Using a laboratory centrifuge to separate the blood components, the protein is extracted
- This extraction is filed in ampoules, later available in injection form
- The protein is then injected within the painful area of the joints, using CT guidance
Typically, injections are given 1-2 times a week. Treatment for discogenic diseases requires 4 injections, while lesions of the joints of the extremities, a minimum of 6 injections is usually required. Following injections, patients are advised to avoid strenuous exercise for a period of 48 hours. Some side effects may include swelling and numbness around the injection site, which may last around 2 hours.
Prospects for the Biological Treatment of Joint Disease
Specialists at Herzliya Medical Center are working closely with research centers, to study the influence of biologically active preparations for the restoration of joint function. A sustained therapeutic effect aims to prevent surgery, by applying an integrated approach to the prevention and treatment of age-related and regulatory changes, as well as premature degenerative disorders.