Ophthalmology in Israel
For years, ophthalmology in Israel is considered one of the most advanced areas of modern medicine. The Department of Ophthalmology at Herzliya Medical Center has invested in the leading experts of the country that successfully manage the treatment of the vast majority of eye-related diseases, preserving and restoring sight to patients from around the world.
Advantages of Eye Treatment in Israel
The unrivaled level of ophthalmologic (eye) treatment in Israel is due to a combination of high professionalism and the introduction of advanced technologies in the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases. The use of digital survey techniques, microsurgery, medical laser and robotic procedures has unveiled a new era in the field of ophthalmology in Israel, characterized by the high possibility of recovery following a serious illness or injury.
Ophthalmology at Herzliya Medical Center
The Ophthalmology Department of the hospital conduct multi-faceted, numerous diagnoses and treatments using the latest conservative, minimally invasive and surgical treatment of eye diseases. These include:
- Treatment of cataracts (clouding of the lens because of age-related changes or metabolic disorders). Surgical treatment involves the implantation of an artificial lens that will fully restore the physiological function of the eye. HMC use high-quality implants to minimize the likelihood of post-operative complications
- Laser vision correction enables a patient to no longer require glasses or contact lenses. The Department of Ophthalmology successfully treats nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism
- Surgery and minimally invasive treatment of strabismus - extensive experience treating both congenital and acquired disorders of the motor function of the eyeball
- The treatment of glaucoma and its complications. Specialists clinics utilize the latest methods of conservative (medical) treatment, as well as for numerous conventional and laser surgeries. The choice of treatment depends on the type and severity of glaucoma, the presence of secondary changes and patient preferences
- Treatment of retinal detachment with microsurgery and laser surgery
- Prevention and treatment of diabetic retinopathy (severe vascular complications of diabetes) and age-related changes of the retina (macular degeneration)
- Treatment of tumors of the eye and orbit is held in conjunction with the clinic of ophthalmologists and Cancer Center. Specialists Clinic achieved excellent results in the treatment of ocular malignant melanoma, allowing not only to stop the spread of malignancy, but also to keep the affected eye (assuming the tumor was detected at an early stage of development)
- Eyelid surgery, including treatment of upper eyelid ptosis (drooping), removal of cosmetic defects and removal of benign tumors
- Treatment of traumatic injuries and consequences of injuries endured previously. The Ophthalmology Hospital uses unique methods of recovery, especially after unsuccessful surgeries or complications developed in the past
- Keratoplasty (surgery of the cornea) after injuries, burns (including radiation and chemical), severe degenerative changes leading to hazy sight, as well as after complications of severe infectious and inflammatory processes
- Treatment of diseases of lacrimal glands and tear ducts. The clinic utilizes the highly effective methods of treatment of chronic dry eye, as well as safe treatment of congenital and acquired lacrimal channel obstruction in patients of all ages
- Treatment of diseases and pathologies that lead to clouding of the vitreous, by the use of non-invasive treatment with ophthalmic lasers
- Treatment of inflammatory, infectious, autoimmune and allergic diseases of the eye such as conjunctivitis, keratitis, uveitis and sclerokeratitis, as well as preventing the development of secondary complications of these pathologies
Ophthalmic Surgery and Treatment of Eye Diseases at HMC Day Clinic
In addition to the Admissions Department at the hospital, a day hospital conducts the vast majority of minimally invasive ophthalmic surgeries with the use of medical lasers. Modern surgical techniques allow for unique and complex minimally invasive treatment without damaging the surrounding tissue, and in some cases, it eliminates the need for cuts and the burden of postoperative sutures. After a short rest and thorough evaluation, day hospital patients can be discharged and continue further treatment on an outpatient basis.
Personalized Diagnosis and Treatment Approach at HMC
HMC guarantees quality and efficiency in all non-surgical and surgical procedures. The Ophthalmologist Clinic at Herzliya Medical Center effectively attends to patients suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and autoimmune diseases of the blood vessels. Often, eye diseases form part of particular pathologies and therefore require a comprehensive approach in diagnosis and treatment.
Herzliya Medical Center’s multidisciplinary approach of its ophthalmologists and ophthalmic surgeons allow for a full range of necessary examinations to establish the exact cause of particular eye-related conditions. Specialists can then ensure that implementing the necessary protocols will stabilize the patient’s condition and prevent relapses and/ or progression of eye disease in future. Following surgery, specialists continue monitoring the patient’s eyes in order to achieve optimum results post-surgery.