Throat Cancer Treatment in Israel
Throat cancer - a disease caused by the presence of a malignant tumor that is in one of the following anatomical divisions: the pharynx, larynx or tonsillar area (near the tonsils).
"Herzliya Medical Center" private hospital draws up a treatment plan with the involvement of specialists of different fields of medicine: otolaryngologists, physicians, oncologists and radiologists. The multidisciplinary approach significantly increases the effectiveness of treatment and contributes to a successful rehabilitation. Throat cancer develops in the upper part of the digestive system and respiratory tract. The malignant tumor affects one of the internal organs located in the neck, spreading further in the nearby tissue and anatomical structures.
Depending on the location of the primary lesion, the following types of throat cancer are listed:
- Nasopharyngeal carcinoma
- Cancer of the oropharynx, at the base of the tongue and tonsils
- Hypopharynx cancer (lower division of the pharynx, located at its connection with the larynx)
- Cancer of the vocal cords, located in the larynx
- Cancer of the vocal cords region (upper part of the larynx)
- Cancer of the subglottic region (lower part of the larynx)
Throat Cancer symptoms
Clinical manifestations of throat cancer are determined by the exact location of the tumor. They may include:
- Changing the tone of voice
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Lump in throat
- A sense of suffocation
Diagnosis of throat cancer
Early diagnosis of throat cancer and prompt initiation of treatment can significantly reduce mortality and the likelihood of recurrence of the disease. Patients with a chronic cough, hoarseness and difficulty swallowing are recommended to urgently see an otolaryngologist. Throat cancer diagnosis is made on the basis of:
- Laryngoscopy - inspection of all parts of the pharynx and larynx, including the vocal cords, using a flexible optical device
- Tumor biopsy - a small sample of tissue taken from the neoplasm and its histological analysis
- Instrumental tests - X-ray, computed tomography, magnetic resonance and positron emission tomography. These studies are needed to confirm the diagnosis and determine the stage of cancer (tumor size, its infiltration into adjacent organs, the presence of metastasis).
Throat Cancer Treatment in Israel
Throat cancer treatment in Israel is usually combined; it involves surgical intervention, the scale of which depends on the stage of the disease, and conservative measures.
When superficial tumors of small diameter are detected, a minimally invasive endoscopic surgery is performed for the resection of the tumor. When larger tumors are involved, a partial or a full resection of the larynx is conducted. Patients who have undergone a radical removal of the larynx, lose the ability to speak and need further rehabilitation in speech or a voice prosthesis implantation. The operation may be accompanied by cervical lymph node dissection if malignant cells are found.
One effective means of treatment for throat cancer in Israel is radiotherapy. For small tumors, it can be used as an independent method of treatment and as an alternative to surgery. When applied to advanced cancers of the larynx, pre-radiotherapy can reduce the size of the tumor to further implement its radical removal. After surgery, radiotherapy can be combined with chemotherapy and assigned to impact on residual tissue of the primary tumor or its metastases.
In some cases, patients with throat cancer are treated with drugs -Targeted therapy - treatment with drugs, recognizing the specific factors of malignant cells. Targeted drugs irreversibly disrupt important features of cancer cells and cause the interruption of tumor growth. After undergoing surgery, most patients require a long-term rehabilitation to restore speech, swallowing skills, the ability to take liquid and solid foods.
As the leading private hospital in Israel "Herzliya Medical Center" patients can undergo rehabilitation therapy, including expert advice and practical exercises. The total loss of speech abilities after a radical removal of the larynx is treated by trained technicians.