Ovarian Cancer Treatment in Israel
Ovarian cancer is a cancer originating from the epithelial ovarian tissue. The ovaries are paired organs, having the size of an almond kernel. Their main function is to produce eggs and sex hormones such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.
Ovarian cancer is localized in the ovaries and can evolve for a long time without any symptoms. Clinical manifestations of the disease usually start when an oncological process becomes more widespread and goes to nearby organs. Ovarian cancer diagnosed at later stages is difficult to cure and often leads to death.
Ovarian Cancer treatment in Israel is taking into account the personal preferences and condition of each individual patient. The major advantage of cancer treatment in Israel, at "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital is the use of the latest developments in the world of therapeutic medicine.
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian cancer symptoms are not specific just for this disease and are often similar to the clinical manifestations of other more common conditions, including diseases of the digestive tract.
Signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer may include:
- Bloating, feeling of pressure in this area
- Discomfort or pain in the abdomen
- Frequent indigestion, bloating or nausea
- Frequent urination
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
- Increased abdominal pain
- Weakness, fatigue
You should consult with your doctor if you notice the appearance of any of the above ailments. Particular attention should be paid to those women who have a close relative who was ill with ovarian cancer or breast cancer; in these cases it is recommended to conduct genetic testing and check for gene mutations that increase the risk of developing these types of cancer.
Ovarian Cancer Easrly Diagnosis in Israel
Early ovarian cancer diagnosis is essential for a successful treatment outcome. Types of medical tests that are used for the diagnosis of ovarian cancer in Israel, usually include:
- Examination by a gynecologist. The latter will collect medical history and conduct a thorough manual inspection of the external and internal genital organs including an intra-vaginal study of the vagina and cervix for abnormalities.
- Ultrasound. Transvaginal ultrasound allows to obtain images of the neighboring organs such as the uterus. Ultrasonography can set the size, shape and configuration of the ovaries.
- Biopsy. Upon detection of tumors in the ovaries, samples are taken with subsequent histological laboratory research.
- Detailed biochemical analysis of blood, including the specific tumor marker CA 125. Among the many patients diagnosed with ovarian cancer are abnormally high levels of CA 125. However, an increased titer of this tumor marker may occur in other non-cancerous diseases, and vice versa; CA 125 may be within the permissible norms in ovarian cancer patients. For this reason a test CA 125 is typically not used for diagnosis or for screening for ovarian cancer, but it may be used after diagnosis, to monitor the effectiveness of treatment.
- The prevalence of cancer process is set using computer imaging (CT, MRI, etc.).
Ovarian Cancer Treatment in Israel
Treatment of ovarian cancer in Israel is complex and is chosen individually for each patient.
- Surgical treatment of ovarian cancer. In cases where ovarian cancer is diagnosed at an early stage, a surgery is performed, including the removal of one ovary and fallopian tube. After this operation a woman retains the ability to have children.
- With advanced stages of ovarian cancer, the removal of both ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus, lymph nodes, and the folds of abdominal adipose tissue is performed.
- Chemotherapy. After surgery, assigned adjuvant treatment is administered with chemotherapeutic drugs that destroy the remaining cancer-causing cells. Sometimes chemotherapy may also be used at the beginning of the therapy. Chemotherapy drugs can be supplied intravenously or injected directly into the peritoneal cavity. It is possible to simultaneously use both methods. Cytotoxic agents (chemotherapeutic agents) may be administered either separately or in combination, consisting of several drugs.
Why Choose Cancer Treatment at HMC
"Herzliya Medical Center", the leading Israeli Private Hospital, uses the latest high-precision equipment that can detect the presence of the disease at an early stage, allowing to swiftly move into a treatment mode with highly effective therapy results.