Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Multiple myeloma treatment in Israel, as well as other types of blood cancer are successfully carried out by the experts of the leading private Oncology Department at Herzliya Medical Center.
It offers patients not only professional assistance and modern medical equipment, but also excellent conditions of hospitalization, as well as the excellent services of the highest international standards. The unsurpassed quality of treatment and care at Herzliya Medical Center guarantee excellent results and high efficiency of treatment.
Multiple myeloma is a systemic malignancy of plasma blood cells, whose task is the development of antibodies responsible for the body's immunity. Proliferation of malignant plasma cells occur in the bone tissue, causing severe systemic disorders associated with bone destruction as well as with the associated metabolic processes and reduces the body's immune function. Despite the fact that scientists are still unable to clearly identify the reasons for the development of multiple myeloma, there is conclusive evidence that this diseases has genetic mutations that are inherited. The disease is typical for patients older than 50 years of age. Additional risk factors for the disease are obesity, exposure to ionizing radiation, as well as domestic and industrial carcinogens.
Multiple Myeloma Symptoms
An early diagnosis of the disease is difficult to determine due to the lack of specific symptoms. Perhaps a long asymptomatic. The characteristic features of multiple myeloma, for developing advanced stages of the disease are:
- Pathological fractures and chronic pain in the bones. The cause of these symptoms are lytic bone lesions caused by the growth of malignant cells. The most characteristic lesion of bone is of the pelvis, spine, skull and ribs
- Clinical manifestations of hypocalcemia - elevated levels of calcium in the blood associated with the collapse of multiple bone. Hypocalcemia is characterized by progressive fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, arrhythmias and impaired consciousness
- Violation of protein metabolism and the release of abnormal monoclonal protein leads to progressive kidney damage and can cause kidney failure
- Clinical signs of anemia - weakness, fatigue, pale skin and mucous membranes, shortness of breath, decreased exercise tolerance
- Impairment of the immune system - a tendency to severe or recurrent infections, such as pneumonia, sinusitis, infectious lesions of the kidneys and urinary tract infections, skin infections
The presence of suspected multiple myeloma symptoms requires immediate treatment.
Multiple Myeloma Diagnosis in Israel
At Herzliya Medical Center patients undergo all the necessary set of surveys aimed at accurate differential diagnosis of multiple myeloma. Among the major diagnostic criteria, it is important to note:
A full medical history and the results are examined by a specialist
Laboratory studies of the peripheral blood. A general analysis to determine the presence of anemia and leukocyte violations, suspected malignancy. Measuring the level of calcium in the blood will help to judge the intensity of bone loss
Biochemical examination of the urine determines the presence of a specific protein for multiple myeloma
X-ray examination of the skeleton and specific diagnosis for the disease lesions of bone tissue and the presence of multiple pathological fractures. Diagnostic complement computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET-CT), which allow to accurately determine the location and severity of the process
Diagnostic puncture bone marrow in order to determine the proliferation of malignant cells. Histological and genetic study obtained by biopsy of the drug gives an indication of the type of disease, as well as the severity of systemic failure. The results of the diagnostic bone marrow aspiration are important for determining the treatment strategy for multiple myeloma
After gathering the necessary information specialists at Herzliya Medical Center define the stage, histological type and the degree of aggressiveness of multiple myeloma. On the basis of all the data an optimal treatment program is provided.
Modern Treatment Methods of Multiple Myeloma in Israel
Modern methods of treatment of multiple myeloma in Israel include both classic and innovative techniques that were proven to be highly effective and can count on a favorable prognosis complete cure or a permanent remission. The main methods of treatment, have been successfully used by experts of HMC and include:
- Chemotherapy is used intravenously in the hospital, and in the form of tablets (available on an outpatient basis). The main drugs that successfully suppress the growth of malignant plasma cells are Melphalan (Alkeran), Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan), Vincristine, Doxorubicin (Adriamycin) and Liposomal doxorubicin (Doxil)
- Targeted therapy for multiple myeloma is characterized by high efficiency at a relatively low rate of side effects. The high selectivity of targeted therapy drugs hold a great promise in the use of this treatment in patients at different stages of the disease. Preparation Bortezomib (Velcade) is an inhibitor of a specific enzyme present in malignant cells and is capable of suppressing the proliferation of multiple myeloma
- Drugs that have anti-tumor activity are not related to chemotherapeutic drugs, such as Thalidomide (Thalomid) and Lenalidomide (Revlimid). These drugs have proven effective in the treatment of multiple myeloma, and have been successfully used in the treatment of relapsing forms of the disease
- Stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma can lead to a complete recovery. Before transplantation the activity of bone marrow cells is completely inhibited. Transplanted stem cells rapidly restore the normal structure of the bone marrow without the presence of malignant plasma cells
- Radiation therapy for multiple myeloma is effective for focal lesions, characterized by intense proliferation of tumor cells, for example, pockets of intense destruction of bone. Irradiation is part of a comprehensive treatment of the disease and helps to reduce the symptoms
- Corticosteroids Prednisone and Dexamethasone have a good therapeutic effect, and reduce the side effects caused by chemotherapy
- Symptomatic therapy is aimed at reducing pain, the clinical manifestations of hypocalcemia and anemia
Individual programs of diagnosis and treatment of multiple myeloma and other cancer types at Herzliya Medical Center are based on the latest scientific achievements and developments. Working closely with the world's centers of treatment of multiple myeloma, the hospital specialists implement innovative technology constantly improving the effectiveness of treatment and reducing the likelihood of side effects.