Leukemia Treatments in Israel
Leading specialists in hematology at Herzliya Medical Center guarantee effective leukemia treatments in Israel. Herzliya Medical Center private hospital is a leading hospital in Israel which provides its patients superior medical care and the best hospitalization standards. Treatment of hematological diseases at Herzliya Medical Center is based on the latest scientific research that can achieve impressive results at all stages of the disease and meets the most stringent standards of patient safety.
What is leukemia?
Leukemia is a group of malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system, including the bone marrow and lymphatic system. A malignant transformation of blood cells leads to a loss of their functional abilities and substantial disruption of the normal process of hematopoiesis until the development of severe anemia (anemia), and thrombocytopenia (decrease in platelets - cells responsible for blood clotting). Some forms of leukemia are characterized by a malignant infiltration of internal organs, which resembles the clinical course of metastatic spread of cancer. There are many forms of this disease, which differ from each other; in the source of cancer cells, as well as the nature of the disease.
Clinical manifestations of leukemia vary and depend on the type of disease and its stages. The main symptoms that cause patients to seek medical care are likely to be:
- Unexplained fever, often accompanied by chills
- A feeling of weakness and fatigue caused by progressive anemia
- Sweating, especially at night
- Significant weight loss
- Propensity to infectious diseases as a consequence of reduction of the immune system
- Swollen lymph nodes, spleen and liver
- Bleeding tendency (often bow), skin bruising for no apparent reason, as well as hemorrhagic rash origin
- Bone pain
- Impairment of the function of internal organs associated with internal bleeding or the development of metastatic foci
It is important to note that most of the early manifestations of malignant blood diseases are not specific, so at the first suspicion of the development of leukemia it is necessary to conduct a thorough differential diagnosis.
Diagnosis of leukemia in Israel
Herzliya Medical Center private hospital carries out all complex diagnostic procedures to accurately determine the type and stage of the disease. Among the main methods of diagnosis of leukemia in Israel is important to note:
- A thorough physical examination by a qualified hematologist, allowing to determine the history of the disease and develop a program of necessary diagnostic tests
- Specialized analyzes of peripheral blood are an important diagnostic value and in most cases, detect the presence of leukemia
- Bone marrow and lymph node biopsy followed by histological examination are crucial in the definitive diagnosis
- In some cases with the diagnosis of leukemia or its complications, it is necessary to conduct a series of studies of internal organs, such as ultrasound, CT, PET-CT and MRI
In addition to instrumental and laboratory methods for diagnosis, HMC patients get all the necessary consultations with specialists (all under one roof, at one location) in an extremely short time.
Leukemia treatment in Israel
After a well-established diagnosis of leukemia, specialists at Herzliya Medical Center private hospital provide patients with comprehensive information about the possibility of treatment aimed at full recovery or stable control over the development of the disease. The main methods of treatment of leukemia in Israel include:
- Chemotherapy using anticancer drugs which can inhibit the growth or completely destroy the cancer cells. Modern treatment can achieve excellent results with relatively low side effects, which can be easily a symptomatic treatment
- Targeted therapy is an innovative method of chemotherapy, allowing anticancer drugs which selectively affect cancer cells to eliminate the deleterious effects on healthy tissue and significantly reducing side effects
- Radiotherapy is effective in some forms of localized manifestations of the disease (lymph nodes or spleen)
- Bone marrow transplantation is a highly effective treatment for the majority of medullary forms of leukemia and some other malignant diseases. The method consists of a complete suppression of bone marrow activity using high doses of chemotherapy drugs followed by a transfer of healthy stem cells to restore normal structure and function of the hematopoietic system
Herzliya Medical Center administers a professional approach to the diagnosis and treatment of leukemia. Oncology specialists at HMC have helped thousands of patients from Israel and from all over the world to overcome the disease and return to a normal lifestyle.