Chronic Myeloid Leukemia in Israel
chronic myeloid leukemia treatment in Israel has a high percentage of success rates. Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital specializes in modern methods of diagnosis and treatment of malignant blood diseases and help patients around the world to cope successfully with leukemia. Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital is well-supplied with modern medical equipment, allowing to perform all the necessary research methods and treatments. The hospital staff is constantly committed to create an atmosphere of comfort and full support throughout the period of hospitalization.
What Characterizes Chronic Myeloid Leukemia?
Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) is a kind of blood cancer which is characterized by the development of abnormal cells in the bone marrow, gradually displacing healthy cells and disruptions of normal hematopoiesis. This type of leukemia is identified by a gradual development of symptoms with periods of significant deterioration associated with decreased levels of red blood cells and platelets in the blood. CML is a disease in which the bone marrow makes too many white blood cells. Chronic myeloid leukemia at any moment can turn into an acute phase and a rapid deterioration of the patient can lead to an immediate threat to life. Early diagnosis of CML positively affects the effectiveness of treatment and prognosis. Modern techniques have been successfully applied by specialists at Herzliya Medical Center and can achieve impressive results at all stages of the disease.
Clinical Manifestations of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
Initial chronic myeloid leukemia symptoms usually appear after significant changes in the peripheral blood. Often, changes in blood figures are detected during a routine clinical examination and are the cause of referral to an oncology specialist. In the course of the disease one may experience the following symptoms:
- Increasing of weakness, fatigue, pale skin - all symptoms of anemia (anemia) due to the gradual replacement of healthy bone marrow cancer cells, disrupting the production of red blood cells.
- Increased bleeding, unexplainable skin bruising, nosebleeds, growing as the level of platelets in the blood
- Drastic weight loss, accompanied by loss of appetite
- Increased body temperature. As a rule, long low-grade fever (37.0-38.0) or peaks of fever accompanied by chills
- Excessive sweating at night
Important to note, the above symptoms may be caused not only by leukemia, hence their expression requires immediate medical attention in order to conduct a detailed differential diagnosis.
Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Diagnosis in Israel
Diagnosis of hematological diseases, including diagnosis of chronic myeloid leukemia in Israel are conducted in special hematological departments. At Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital the patients have an opportunity to go through all the modern diagnostic procedures, including:
- Extended peripheral blood, which allows to detect characteristic features of malignancy
- Needle biopsy of the bone marrow which is the primary method for diagnosing the type and stage of leukemia
- Genetic studies of chromosomal mutations are needed to complete the diagnostic picture in order to plan effective treatment programs
- General diagnosis of the patient prior to treatment, including all necessary consultations with specialists
Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Treatment in Israel
Herzliya Medical Center collaborates with world centers for studying leukemia, constantly introducing innovative methods of treatment of blood cancers that have a high therapeutic effect and low side effects. Among the main treatments for chronic myeloid leukemia in Israel should be noted:
- Targeted therapy is gradually replacing classical chemotherapy in the treatment of many forms of CML. The main advantage of targeted therapy is highly selective drugs that can detect cancer cells throughout the body and destroy them without causing significant harm to healthy tissues
- Chemotherapy is used in forms of leukemia which are insensitive to targeted therapy. Modern drugs and modified regimens can achieve high efficiency and minimize the deleterious effects of anticancer drugs on the body
- Biological treatments of leukemia, such as interferon, are applied in case of resistance of the disease to anticancer drugs, and are also used in cases where the diagnosis of CML is delivered during pregnancy and the use of chemotherapy cannot be done
- Bone marrow transplantation is an effective treatment in the transition of the disease to the acute phase, as well as for recurring illness. During transplantation using high doses of chemotherapy drugs, it completely inhibits the process of bone marrow hematopoiesis. The next stage of treatment is a transplant of healthy stem cells engrafted in the bone marrow of the patient to restore his normal cellular structure and functional capacity
Qualified approach and vast experience of hematologists – oncologists at Herzliya Medical Center will overcome all the difficulties associated with the treatment of the disease and recover lost health.