Breast Cancer Treatment
Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers; according to statistics it occurs in 9-12% of women.
Breast cancer treatment in Israel using the most effective strategies, is performed in the Oncology Department at Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital. Timely diagnosis of breast cancer and individually tailored treatment in most cases achieves recovery. The likelihood of recovery of patients with breast cancer at an early stage is more than 90%.
Breast Cancer Symptoms
Breast cancer is a malignant tumor of the glandular tissue. Primary tumor is defined as the seal in the mammary gland distinguishable by palpation. Other signs of breast cancer include:
- Deformation and resizing of the breast
- Nipple retraction
- Change of skin: redness, the appearance of "orange peel"
- Bloody discharge from the nipple
Breast Cancer Diagnosis
In order to diagnose breast cancer the following checks must be conducted:
- US (Ultrasound)
- Breast biopsy - obtaining a sample of tumor tissue and its subsequent histological and immunohistochemical analysis. Firstly, the presence of malignant cells in the specimen can confirm the diagnosis of breast cancer. Secondly, on the basis of a biopsy the histological type is diagnosed (ductal carcinoma, medullary carcinoma, invasive lobular carcinoma, etc…) and largely determines the course and prognosis of the disease. In addition, modern methods of treatment of breast cancer in Israel are based on the specific symptoms of cancer cells: the presence of receptors for estrogen and progesterone receptor expression HER 2. As part of the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer in Israel a genetic testing is also performed: analysis to determine mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 . The presence of mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 indicates hereditary breast cancer.
- The cost of specialists consultations and diagnostic procedures starts from $4,000
- Cost of treatment (if necessary):
- Operation - starts at $10,800
- Chemotherapy - starts at $2,000 per session
Breast Cancer Treatment in Israel
- Surgery: Surgery is determined by the size of the tumor, the extent of its infiltration into the surrounding tissue and the presence of malignant cells in the lymph nodes. If the tumor is small in diameter, it is possible to perform a lumpectomy - tumor resection while preserving the breast. For large tumors a mastectomy is performed - a radical removal of the breast. After mastectomy a breast reconstruction is conducted using the patient's own tissue or a synthetic implant. Depending on the medical reconstruction, mastectomy may be done immediately or postponed to a later date..
- Chemotherapy: Adjuvant (postoperative) chemotherapy is appointed to the majority of patients after mastectomy. The purpose of chemotherapy is to kill cancer cells and prevent local recurrence. In the later stages of breast cancer chemotherapy is used as means of combating metastasis. Preoperative chemotherapy is used to influence the larger tumors: it causes their regression and facilitates radical removal.
- Hormone therapy: In some patients the cancer cells are hormone-dependent, that is, they have receptors for the hormones estrogen and progesterone. To affect the hormone-dependent tumors, drugs that block receptors of cancer cells are used or inhibit the natural estrogen synthesis in the body.
- Target (Targeted) therapy: Some cancers are characterized by overexpression of the receptor HER2, which plays an important role in the growth of malignant cells. Targeted drugs are capable of binding to this receptor and irreversibly disrupt the livelihoods of cancer cells. At Herzliya Medical Center the leading private hospital in Israel, target therapy has been successfully used as an effective treatment for breast cancer.
Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital boasts hundreds of successful cases of healing from breast cancer. After treatment, the patient remains under medical supervision and is treated in the hospital to undergo a control check and receive further expert advice. Looking at these beautiful, young women who have recovered, it is impossible to believe that in the past, the devastating discovery of breast cancer disease has brought despair to their lives.
The Medical History of Maria S.
The History of Maria S. from Liverpool, England is a good example that if you believe, miracles do happen in medicine, but only when they are backed up by professional doctors, effective methods of treatment and, of course, the willingness of the patient to fight the disease.
Maria has recently turned 50 years old. “A year from now my son Alexander will have finished school and my daughter Natasha is going to get married, I'm making plans for the future” said Maria “but to my dismay I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I really wanted to see my children grow up, and suddenly realized that maybe I will not have the chance. " Maria independently discovered a lump in her breast and hastened to consult a surgeon. After the biopsy, the medical verdict was disappointing - invasive ductal carcinoma. To remove the tumor, a mastectomy was required. Maria decided to have the surgery in Israel, at HMC, due to excellent results with this sort of operation in this hospital. The mastectomy surgery was performed at the Oncology Department of Herzliya Medical Center and she also had radiotherapy and chemotherapy. "It was a difficult time” - says Maria – “It was very hard to tolerate the treatment, but the doctors and nurses tried to convince me that you have to fight till the end, they did everything possible and the impossible". Maria then had a breast reconstruction at the Department of Plastic Surgery.
Wendy, 41 years old, from Lagos, Nigeria:
When I found out I had breast cancer, it was like the end of the world to me.
I had just got married and wanted to start building up a family. No woman in my family have ever had breast cancer and so it took me by surprise!
My doctor in Lagos told me that he had just returned from a medical conference in Israel a month ago and that he was amazed at the wonderful treatment they give out to breast cancer patients. I called up HMC and within four days was on my way to Herzliya Medical Center, Israel.
Thank you for all the people at the hospital who reached out continuously and didn't give up on me. I am so grateful to Dr. Karni and Dr. Pelech for your faith in healing me. You gave me my inner strength to pass this difficult time, maybe it’s the holy land who creates miracles and wonderful people like dat. I adopted a strong will to live after what I've been through. I’m grateful for the support in my cancer survivorship.
"I am eternally grateful to the doctors” saysWendy “ they gave me a second life, and it’s truly a priceless gift."
Please fill out our short form below, and we will contact you shortly
or call us now at +972-9-959-4888