Brain Cancer Treatment in Israel
Brain Cancer is a general name of the group of malignant tumors affecting the central nervous system. Brain cancer treatment in Israel, usually involves surgery to remove the tumor.
At Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital the most modern surgical methods are practiced. Means of intraoperative navigation allow safe and extremely accurate performance of surgery on the brain without damaging vital structures. Primary brain cancer is relatively rare. Most malignant tumors in the brain are secondary foci (metastases) neoplastic processes, developed in other parts of the body, such as in the breast, gastrointestinal tract, or lung. Primary brain tumors are classified according to histologic types. There are just a few tens of known cancers that differ in their histological characteristics, the tendency of invasion of adjacent structures, dynamics of growth and other signs. The most common form of brain cancer - glioma and their subtypes: astrocytoma, ependymomas, oligodendrogliomas and mixed gliomas. Astrocytomas that are high-staged (IV) are also called glioblastoma or Glioblastoma Multiforme and are the most agressive types of brain cancer.
Brain cancer symptoms
Diagnosis of brain cancer in many cases is complicated due to the lack of specific symptoms. Especially in the initial stages of the disease. With the growth of the tumor the surrounding tissues begin to compress and may prevent the circulation of cerebrospinal fluid, causing increased intracranial pressure. The symptoms of increased intracranial pressure include:
Brain cancer diagnosis in Israel
- severe headache
- nausea and vomiting, not associated with eating
- Depending on the localization of tumors, focal symptoms may arise - signs of compression of certain parts of the brain tumor growing, in particular:
- Visual disorders: double vision, visual field reduction, etc.
- Sensory-motor impairments
- Speech disorders
- Changes in the nature and behavior
- Memory loss, disorientation
- Seizures and convulsions
- Impaired hearing
- Diagnosis of brain cancer includes an in-depth neurological examination, in which the severity of the visual and auditory disorders, coordination, reflexes and other state parameters are verified. Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain (MRI) in order to analyze the specific characteristics of the tumor. Typically, during the diagnosis of brain cancer, a tumor biopsy is done. Intraoperative biopsy is part of the surgery to remove the tumor. However, in some cases, a biopsy is a separate procedure. At "Herzliya Medical Center" neoplasms of the brain biopsy is performed under the control of magnetic resonance tomography.
Brain Cancer Treatment in Israel
Operable tumors amenable to surgical removal are under the craniotomy. In cases where the tumor is large-sized or located in close proximity to critical structures of the brain, the neurosurgeon performs resection at the maximum allowable amount. To accurately determine the boundaries of the tumor the neurosurgeon uses an intraoperative three-dimensional navigation system, allowing the doctor to navigate in the operative field and to avoid damage to healthy parts of the brain. For the destruction of residual malignant cells conservative methods are used: chemo-and radiotherapy. In recent years, for the treatment of brain cancer in Israel, the technique of stereotactic radiosurgery has been widely used. It is a kind of external beam radiotherapy: a tumor defined in advanced stages is subject to focused intense radiation. It uses not a single light source, but several; thus the maximum therapeutic effect and minimized radiation exposure to healthy tissue is achieved. Brain Cancer Treatment in Israel may include targeted therapy. Brain cancer treatment at Herzliya Medical Center is conducted for all types of malignant tumors of the central nervous system. It offers patients a postoperative rehabilitation program aimed at restoring speech, hearing, motor skills and cognitive abilities.