Bladder Cancer Treatments in Israel
Bladder cancer treatment in Israel is one of the major areas of urology. In the Urology Department at "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital, the leading urologist – oncologist experts have successfully used innovative methods to treat tumors of the genitourinary system.
The use of modern medical equipment and rich experience of the physicians in the hospitals help to cope with the disease even in the advanced stages. "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital has been considered a model of quality care, patient safety and comfortable hospitalization conditions.
What is typical of bladder cancer?
The appearance of atypical glandular cancer cells of mucosal epithelium is the beginning of the development of malignant tumors, which can grow through all layers of the bladder. In the pathological process adjacent pelvic organs are often involved and lymphatic metastasis circulates cancer cells throughout the body (most often in the lungs, liver and bones) . Focal disruption caused by the tumor leads to severe bleeding and impaired urination. A timely treatment at "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital can not only help to get rid of the disease, but also to keep the important function of the bladder, preventing significant limitations and disability.
Bladder cancer symptoms
The disease occurs most often in benign precancerous mucosal changes - polyps. Chronic inflammation also contributes to the development of the disease, so the main symptoms of bladder cancer tend to occur with chronic disorders. The appearance of these symptoms require immediate medical attention:
- Bleeding in bladder cancer is a progressing character. Hematuria begins with a slight appearance of blood in the urine, defined only in laboratory studies. The presence of blood clots (thrombi) in the cavity of the bladder can cause severe urinary disorders and acute urinary retention
- Pain during urination, and pain in the lower abdomen, the pelvis and spine are signs of germination of the tumor through the layers of the bladder
- Symptoms of dysuria - painful urination and frequent small doses accompany all stages of the disease
- Signs of progressive disease are associated with the violation of the outflow of urine from the renal pelvis to the development of renal failure, neighboring pelvic malignant intoxication caused by the spread of the tumor, life-threatening bleeding and signs of metastases in distant organs
Bladder cancer diagnosis in Israel
For the diagnosis of bladder cancer in Israel the following techniques are applied:
- Urinalysis - to determine the presence of blood. In addition, specialized cytological tests help determine the presence of malignant cells in the urine
- Cystoscopy - invasive endoscopic methods which enable doctors to assess the condition of the bladder mucosa and also get a sample of suspicious tumor tissue (biopsy). Subsequent histological study will help to establish the final diagnosis. Cystoscopy may also be the immediate removal of precancerous conditions (polyps), which are also subjected to rigorous laboratory tests
- Additional methods of X-ray and visual diagnostics such as urography and cystography using contrast medium, ultrasound, CT, PET-CT and MRI help to accurately assess the degree of damage
Bladder cancer treatment in Israel
Modern methods of treatment for bladder cancer in Israel are successfully used by urologists at "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital, it is important to note:
- Surgical treatment is conducted in several ways, depending on the size of the tumor and the degree of its penetration into surrounding tissues. Minimally invasive transurethral procedure removes small localized tumors. Segmental cystectomy (partial removal of the bladder) helps maintain its functional capacity. In advanced forms of cancer the complete removal of the bladder is practiced, followed by a urostomy surgery (an artificial opening for urine output)
- Chemotherapy with this type of cancer has a high efficiency in the general and local application. Some cancers are curable with anticancer drugs, eliminating the side effects of cytostatic on the whole body
- Immunotherapy significantly improves the effectiveness of treatment in advanced forms of the disease and is used in combination with chemotherapy and surgery
- Radiotherapy for tumors of the bladder is conducted before surgery to reduce the size of the tumor and facilitate its removal, and after surgery, as an important part of a comprehensive treatment