Pitituary Adenomas Treatment in Israel
Pituitary adenomas treatment in Israel is performed by leading specialists; by the best neurosurgeons at “Herzliya Medical Center". HMC is one of the largest centers of neurosurgery in Israel, specializing in operations for brain tumors using innovative techniques to significantly improve the efficiency and safety of the treatment. "Herzliya Medical Center" Private Hospital prides itself on the high professional level of its doctors, having represented for many years the standard of unsurpassed quality among hospitals performing brain surgery in Israel.
What is characteristic of pituitary adenoma?
Pituitary adenoma is a benign tumor of the epididymis of the brain. Although it is not a characteristic of benign tumors to infiltrate into the surrounding tissue, tumor metastasis and decay, a progressive increase in pituitary adenomas can cause severe damage, in some cases pose a serious threat to the life of patients. In the mechanism of the development of symptoms of brain tumors is important to note:
- Mechanical pressure on the surrounding anatomical structure, including the region of the optic nerve caused by tumor growth
- Intracranial hypertension
- Hormonal disorders
Symptoms of pituitary adenoma
Neurosurgeons at the private hospital "Herzliya Medical Center" recommend immediate treatment by physicians specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of brain tumors from the first clinical signs of pituitary adenomas, such as:
- Impaired vision - one of the early symptoms of pituitary adenoma result from mechanical pressure in the optic chiasm. Delayed diagnosis and treatment of disorders caused by a brain tumor can cause irreversible blindness
- Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure, such as nausea and vomiting, mostly in the morning hours, progressive headache
- Clinical and laboratory evidence of hormonal dysfunction
Diagnosis of pituitary adenoma in Israel
The diagnosis of pituitary adenoma is performed in special centers of neurosurgery in Israel. At "Herzliya Medical Center" patients undergo all the necessary diagnostic procedures under one roof. The main methods of diagnosis of pituitary adenoma include: blood and urine tests to determine hormone levels, MRI and CT scans.
Pituitary adenomas treatment in Israel
Conservative treatment of pituitary adenomas is possible with hormone-dependent tumor types. In this case, the use of drugs which decrease prolactin secretion or growth hormone antagonists can significantly reduce the size of the tumor, preventing the need for surgical intervention.
Removal of the tumor is recommended after a repeatedly inefficient conservative therapy or the risk of developing complications. The Department of Neurosurgery at "Herzliya Medical Center" specializes in the most modern operating techniques for brain tumors in Israel, including pituitary adenoma, with a preference of progressive minimally invasive techniques, which have proven high efficiency and low likelihood of complications. Among the main treatments for pituitary adenoma at "Herzliya Medical Center" it is important to note:
Radiotherapy with pituitary adenoma in Israel is used as a standalone treatment or in combination with surgical removal. Preoperative irradiation of large adenomas can significantly reduce their size, and facilitate the removal. Some types of pituitary adenomas are so sensitive to radiation that this method can be used as a complete alternative to surgery, especially in recurrent forms of the disease.
Neurosurgeons at "Herzliya Medical Center" guarantee an individual approach to every treatment of brain tumor in order to achieve optimal results and a speedy recovery.
- A careful evaluation of neurosurgeons and endocrinologists for clinical signs of the disease and the study of the history of the disease is carried out at HMC.
- HMC’s methods of diagnosis for pituitary adenomas include an x-ray examination, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, angiography of cerebral vessels. If necessary, a biopsy for a suspected malignant tumor
- Laboratory hormonal tests for diagnosis of endocrine tumor activity
- Transcranial resection - open surgery with the need of craniotomy is used for tumors of considerable size, as well as if they suspected to be of malignant character
- Transnasal endoscopic prostatectomy today is the primary method of tumor removal without the need for external surgical incision. Minimally invasive method of tumor removal has a low probability of postoperative complications, rapid recovery and lack of postoperative scar
- External radiation is capable not only to reduce the size of the tumor, but also to control excessive production of hormones
- Stereotactic radiosurgery is an innovative method of ultra-precise radiation with minimal impact on the surrounding healthy tissue, allowing to completely destroy the pathological focus