Treatment of Reflux Esophagitis in Israel
Treatment of reflux esophagitis in Israel is carried out by experts at "Herzliya Medical Center".
At Herzliya Medical center the best gastroenterologists specialize in the treatment of diseases of the esophagus and the stomach. In the Gastroenterology Department of Herzliya Medical Center all the modern methods are practiced, conservative and minimally invasive techniques for the surgical treatment of the gastrointestinal tract.
"Herzliya Medical Center” is the leader of innovative techniques that significantly improve the efficiency and the safety of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Reflux esophagitis and its causes
Reflux esophagitis (Gastroesophageal reflux disease, GERD) is a pathological process characterized by chronic inflammatory changes in the mucosa of the esophagus caused by chemical irritation.
The inflammation is caused by the reflux of gastric contents containing hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes in the lower part of the esophagus (a condition referred to as gastro-esophageal reflux).
Esophageal mucosa, unlike the stomach, is not protected from exposure to chemically active substances, the prolonged contact with which is a major mechanism of GERD.
The long-term persistence of the disease can cause severe scarring of the lower esophagus, accompanied by a narrowing of its lumen, as well as the precancerous structural change of the mucous membrane (Barrett's esophagus).
The causes of gastro-esophageal reflux diseases are conditions that cause physiological or anatomical abnormalities of valve function to prevent the return of stomach contents into the esophagus, such as:
- Hiatal hernia, accompanied by weakness of the sphincter. The course of the disease is worse in cases where part of the stomach is located in the chest cavity, disrupting the physiological mechanism of protection against reflux
- Conditions causing increased intra-abdominal pressure, such as pregnancy and obesity
- Some foods, such as chocolate, citrus fruits, tomatoes and spicy foods can provoke the development of reflux and GERD
- Drinking alcohol
- Hereditary link in the development of the disease
In addition, the development of the disease contributes to the increased acidity of gastric contents (gastritis and peptic ulcer disease).
Symptoms of reflux oesophagitis
The main symptoms of GERD which causes the patient to seek medical attention are:
- Discomfort in the chest, alternated by pain as the disease progresses
- Pain in the upper abdomen
- Recurrent sore throat, recurrent inflammation of the oropharynx
- Cough and recurrent airway inflammation
- Heartburn and burning sensation behind the breastbone
- Difficulty swallowing
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss
Often chest pain caused by GERD requires differential diagnosis of diseases of the heart and respiratory organs.
Diagnosis of reflux esophagitis in Israel
In the Gastroenterology Department at "Herzliya Medical Center" patients undergo a full examination for an accurate diagnosis of reflux esophagitis, including:
- Collecting detailed medical history and a thorough examination by a qualified gastroenterologist for clinical signs of the disease
- X-ray study with oral barium-containing contrast agent. This method helps to diagnose the narrowing of the esophagus, structural alterations of the mucous membrane of rumen nature of the tumor, as well as hiatal hernia
- Endoscopic gastrostomy performed by using a fiber-optic device, which allows a visual examination of the mucosa of the esophagus and stomach, as well as a biopsy of suspicious areas on the pathological process
- Measuring the level of acidity of the esophagus (pH-metry) and the measurement of esophageal pressure during the various phases of the swallowing process (manometry)
- Laboratory studies of gastric juice include biochemical parameters, as well as bacteriological analysis for the presence of micro-organisms that contribute to the development of gastritis and peptic ulcer disease
For the purpose of the differential diagnosis of reflux esophagitis in Israel methods of research of the cardiovascular system and the respiratory system are also applied.
Modern conservative methods of treatment of reflux esophagitis in Israel
Specialists at the Gastroenterology Division at "Herzliya Medical Center" use the most modern methods of conservative treatment of reflux esophagitis in Israel that will ensure consistent results in most cases.
The main methods of treatment are:
Drug treatment to reduce stomach acidity. Modern medicines, which replace the classic antacids, allow for longer courses of treatment, avoiding significant adverse effects
Antibacterial drugs are used in the presence of infectious agents such as Helicobacter Pylori
Nutrition therapy is an important component of conservative treatment of GERD in Israel. Highly qualified nutritionists at "Herzliya Medical Center" develop individual diets based on the tastes and preferences of the patient
Surgical treatment of reflux esophagitis in HMC
Surgery for reflux esophagitis in Israel demonstrates highly successful rates.
Fundoplication - a surgical procedure that allows you to restore the functional capacity of the valve, located between the esophagus and the stomach, to prevent the return of stomach contents.
The procedure is also indicated for sliding hiatal hernia. During the endoscopic surgery a fixation of the stomach to the diaphragm is conducted with the recovery of acute physiological angle between the stomach and esophagus.
This procedure is well tolerated by patients. A closed technique allows the operation to reduce the recovery time and minimize the likelihood of postoperative complications.
Our experts at “Herzliya Medical Center" give particular importance to the individual approach in the treatment of GERD taking into consideration the causes of the disease and the general condition of the patient.
Excellent care is guaranteed by the hospital staff, the professionalism of the multidisciplinary team, as well as a comprehensive support that contributes to a speedy and complete recovery of the patients.