A skin biopsy at Herzliya Medical Center in Israel is one of the most effective methods for diagnosis of malignant and benign dermatological diseases.
Specialists in the Department of Dermatology at Herzliya Medical Center in Israel carry out various types of skin biopsies using modern techniques that are minimally invasive and specialized surgery guided by thorough histological diagnosis in Israel.
Indication for a Skin Biopsy
Biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure to extract a tissue sample from the patient for laboratory analysis. Many skin conditions are similar in appearance; therefore, it is not always possible to establish a definitive diagnosis from only visual or instrumental examination.
A skin biopsy is a method highly recommended in obtaining precise diagnosis of skin conditions or diseases (as well as ruling out particular ones), determining a malignancy and can be used to remove lesions of the skin. The biopsy can determine:
- Skin tags
- Inflammatory skin conditions - dermatitis, psoriasis,
- Atypical skin infections
- Autoimmune conditions
- Unusual moles or growths
- Actinic keratosis (precancerous lesion)
- Skin cancer – non-melanoma (basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma) and melanoma
Accurate diagnosis is essential, particularly in the diagnosis of skin cancer (if suspected) in order to treat it effectively. Histological examination of suspicious tumor tissue accompanies diagnostic processes for determining cancer risk in Israel.
Types of Skin Biopsies
Specialists who treat patients in the Department of Dermatology at Herzliya Medical Center in Israel perform all modern types of skin biopsy in Israel among them are the following:
- Tangential (shave biopsy) - a type of procedure where samples of the epidermis are taken from a limited area of the skin. Specialists use a special scalpel to extract a sample from a suspected area of the skin. These layers of the epidermis are sent for laboratory examination. This method is not suitable for the diagnosis of pathological conditions that manifest in deeper layers of the skin, which is where many dermatological conditions are localized.
- Needle Biopsy – allows tissue sample to be obtained from deeper layers of the dermis (skin), reaching subcutaneous layers
- Excisional biopsy (punch biopsy) - used for the majority of cases of suspected malignant tissue, completely removes the unhealthy portion of tissue that is surrounded by healthy skin. Subsequent histological examination is performed in an effort to achieve precise diagnosis, as well as detect the present risk of malignancy beyond the boundaries of the obtained tissue sample. Excisional biopsy that is “clean” effectively stops further development of cancerous tissue and prevents the need for repeated surgery. Thus, excisional biopsy of the skin is not only diagnostic but also therapeutic for most cases.
Skin Biopsy Procedure at HMC
After determination of which procedure is best for each patient, experts at Herzliya Medical Center inform patients of any necessary further treatment preparations. Some methods for skin biopsy in Israel require special attention to prevent decrease in blood clotting, mediated by anticoagulants, depending upon the type and location of tissue for each patient.
Skin biopsy procedures at HMC in Israel are carried out within a single day at the hospital. In most cases, the biopsy is performed under local anesthesia and is not accompanied by significant discomfort or pain. After the procedure, a bandage is applied to the area. Patients receive detailed advisement on necessary follow-up care to prevent infection.
Herzliya Medical Center is one of the leading multi-disciplinary hospitals in Israel, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. The main principles of the clinic are to deliver superior quality of service to patients and maintain a professional individual approach.