Radiography in Israel
The department of imaging diagnosis of a private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center" use most modern methods of radiography. Radiography is instrumental methods based on ionising radiation which can penetrate the soft tissues of the body and cause characteristic changes in the light-sensitive film or a digital matrix. X-ray penetration depends on the density of the tissue, and thus the structural focal changes are clearly visible in the resulting picture. Despite the fact that this method is used in medicine for decades, it has not lost its diagnostic value, and modern technology has allowed for new levels of quality the resulting image. The most common application of this diagnostic method is X-ray of the chest and lungs, spine and stomach.
Chest and lungs X-ray
X-ray of the lungs and thoracic organs are used in the following cases:
- Diagnosis of traumatic injuries of the chest
- Radiography diagnoses lung and pleura, including pneumonia, emphysema, atelectasis, swelling, pneumothorax, pleural effusion, and others.
- Identifying tumours of the lungs and mediastinum
- Diagnosis of heart diseases, accompanied by its increase, and pericardial effusion.
- Determination of the presence of a foreign body
A simplicity of implementation, safety and lack of need for special training allow using chest X-ray as outpatient screening diagnostics (early detection) of many diseases.
Spine X-ray can detect pathology of anatomical structure (curvature, malformations), as well as traumatic and degenerative changes in the vertebrae, including compression fractures. Spine X-ray also allows professionals to monitor the effectiveness of the prescribed treatment. Due to the results of X-ray, specialists of "Herzliya Medical Center" set indications for further, more complex studies, such as CT and MRI. The use of X-rays in orthopaedics requires no special training and has no absolute contraindications.
X-ray of the stomach, as well as other hollow organs, usually performed after the administration of contrast medium, significantly enhancing imaging quality and extends the diagnostic capabilities of this technique. The indications for gastric radiography are:
- Diagnosis of gastric defect caused by a tumor of the stomach
- Diagnosis of a hiatal hernia
- Diagnosis of emergency conditions of the stomach and intestines. The method allows determining the presence of free air in the abdominal cavity, which is one of the signs of perforation (rupture) of the hollow bodies
- Diagnosis of traumatic injuries and penetrating wounds of the abdomen
- Definition of foreign bodies
X-ray of the stomach by emergency indications made without prior preparation. The planned study is recommended on an empty stomach in order to avoid artefacts caused by peristalsis (contraction) of the intestine.
Digital radiography is a new era in the use of traditional techniques. In recent years, the leading private hospital "Herzliya Medical Center" applies modern digital radiography. Image sensor that can capture the X-rays has replaced traditional film, just like a digital photo gradually embossed classic devices. The use of highly sensitive items could substantially reduce the radiation dose, increasing the safety of X-ray diffraction. The possibility of computer processing images, contrast enhancement, expansion of the area of capture and increased resolution helps professionals to improve the accuracy of diagnosis and decryption. Results of digital radiography, stored on disk, facilitate a comparative analysis of several studies, and allow virtual Concilia with the best experts in different parts of the world.