Kidney biopsy in Israel
Kidney biopsy in Israel is carried out by urological surgeons of the private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center". The hospital is a leading oncology diagnostics centre in Israel, and it successfully applies the most advanced methods of minimally invasive surgery.
Indications of kidney biopsy
Kidney biopsy procedure is a sampling the tissue specimens of a kidney for microscopic histological study. The biopsy is the method of final diagnosis of neoplastic processes and structural lesions of the renal parenchyma. The main indications for renal biopsy include:
- Differential diagnosis of kidney tumours, including diagnosis of primary kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma).
- Diagnosis of autoimmune lesions of the kidney, including a kidney rejection syndrome.
- Diagnosis syndromes accompanying metabolic disorders and structural degeneration of the kidney (e.g., renal amyloidosis).
- Differential diagnosis of hematuria (blood in the urine) and proteinuria (the presence of protein in the urine), and other functional disorders, including progressive renal failure with non-informative noninvasive studies.
Preparation for kidney biopsy in Israel
After determining the indications for biopsy, patients in a private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center" go through comprehensive examinations to prevent complications of the procedure. Despite the minimally invasive method of the intervention, it is necessary to avoid all factors that may increase the risk of bleeding from the surgical site. Particular attention should be given to patients treated with anticoagulants (medications that reduce blood clotting ability) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. For these patients, as well as for people suffering from severe chronic illnesses, hospital specialists develop an individual program. Additionally, within 8 hours before the procedure, you must stop taking food and liquids.
Performing the kidney biopsy in Israel
Depending on the clinical indications specialists of the private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center" decide on a type of biopsy, the procedure methods, required anaesthesia and subsequent hospitalisation. The main methods of renal biopsy in Israel include:
- Imaging-Guided Percutaneous Renal Biopsy is performed, usually on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia with sedation. During the procedure, using the guidance of an ultrasound scanner a doctor introduces to the pathological process in the kidney the special needle through which he can sample the specimens for histological study.
- The Laparoscopic renal biopsy is usually used when it is impossible to carry out the percutaneous biopsy, as well as receiving controversial results due to an inadequate amount of specimens. The operation is performed under general anaesthesia and may require a short-term hospitalisation at nephrology department of Herzliya Medical Center.
- Surgical Kidney biopsy is currently used very rarely and only with special individual indications, which does not allow other methods of procedure.
- Partial nephrectomy with excisional biopsy of the kidney is both a diagnostic and therapeutic procedure that allows removing pathological processes, saving the kidney. By this method, a histological study can confirm a final diagnosis, as well as the effectiveness of the intervention, identifying the presence of tumour cells in the surgical borders of specimens.
The staff of private clinics "Herzliya Medical Center" develop an individual treatment program based on the results of the histological study. Modern and highly effective methods of treatment for kidney cancer in Israel, as well as severe and progressive benign diseases, ensure the achievement of positive results in most cases.