Bone Marrow Biopsy in Israel
At the hemato-oncology department of leading private hospital "Herzliya Medical Center", the most advanced methods of diagnosis of the hematopoietic system function. A bone marrow biopsy in Israel is one of the most important methods of study in haematology, which allows accurate and timely diagnosing of malignant and degenerative changes. Early diagnosis of haematological diseases ensures the effectiveness of treatment and significantly improves the prognosis.
Indications for bone marrow biopsy in Israel
Bone marrow performs an important function of blood cells production, and it locates in the trabecula of the spongy substance of flat bones. Bone Marrow Biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure in which a specimen of tissue sampling is carried out for further laboratory studies, including microscopic analysis, histological study and additional tests (immunological, genetic, and others.). Indications for bone marrow biopsy in Israel include:
- Diagnosis of haematological and oncohematological diseases associated with impaired bone marrow haematopoiesis (change of qualitative and quantitative parameters of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets).
- Diagnosis of malignant lymphoid infiltration which can occur in a case of extramedullary processes (e.g., lymphoma, and multiple myeloma).
- Diagnosis of bone marrow degenerative diseases such as myelodysplastic syndrome and myelofibrosis.
- Diagnosing disorders of iron metabolism in the body
- Differential diagnosis of pathological laboratory patterns in peripheral blood in cases of severe and prolonged infections.
- Monitoring of patients suffering from acute and chronic diseases of the blood to assess the status and effectiveness of treatment.
Preparing the Patient for Bone Marrow Biopsy
A bone marrow biopsy is performed on an outpatient basis and usually does not require special preparation. Patients should inform the doctor about the known cases of allergic reactions to drugs, including agents used in local anesthesia. Specialists of private clinics "Herzliya Medical Center" provide detailed recommendations for patients treated with anticoagulants (agents that reduce blood clotting). In most cases, it is recommended the stoppage of these medications for several days before a planned biopsy or change treatment regimens.
How is the Bone Marrow Biopsy performed in Israel?
The Bone Marrow Biopsy in Israel is carried out under local anesthesia. In some cases, doctors can use an intravenous sedation. In adults, functioning bone marrow is allocated in the major flat bones of sternum and pelvis. Therefore, the tissue specimens can be sampled from these bones. Depending on the clinical indications doctors can use two types of bone marrow biopsies:
- Aspiration biopsy is the procedure used to sample the liquid part of the marrow. It is carried out by introducing a thin needle through the bone and the vacuum aspiration of required amount of bone marrow.
- Trephine Biopsy of bone marrow means that doctors take a 1 or 2 cm core of bone marrow in one piece. The procedure is performed by special thick needle, which allows receiving cylindrical samples of tissue.
The trephine biopsy shows the structure of the marrow inside the bone, whereas the aspiration can take only the bone marrow cells.
The place where the biopsy was performed must be closed with a sterile dressing. Duration of the procedure is commonly less than 30 minutes. After the biopsy for a few days, a patient can experience a slight local pain, which can be successfully treated with modern analgesics. At the end of the procedure can be easy drowsiness as a result received sedation. Strict adherence to the aseptic rules during the bone marrow biopsy at a private hospital "Herzliya Medical Center" minimizes the risk of infectious complications.
Results of Bone Marrow Biopsy
Specimens of the liquid or solid bone marrow tissue immediately sent to a specialized laboratory of the private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center". Advanced methods of laboratory diagnostics and modern equipment allow minimizing waiting time for the final results. Specialists will conduct a thorough analysis of the parameters defining the diagnosis and the functional state of the bone marrow.
Hematologists of the private clinic "Herzliya Medical Center" have comprehensive experience in the diagnosis of the hematopoietic system diseases, including all types of blood cancers and rare inherited genetic syndromes. High professionalism of the hospital staff and unparalleled quality of service allow timely diagnosing and early start of treatment in Israel, as soon as possible.