Virtual Coronary Angiography
Every year more and more cases of cardiovascular diseases among the population are registered. These diseases are the leading cause of death worldwide: there is a no more common cause of death than CDV. More than 75% of CVD deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries. Unfortunately, 37% of them are patients younger than 70 years. That is why Israeli cardiologists urge us to begin monitoring the condition of the heart as soon as possible.
- Are you at risk for developing coronary heart disease?
- Do you feel tingling in the heart area or an uncontrollable pain behind your sternum sometimes?
- Do you feel the lack of oxygen or breathing difficulties when performing daily duties?
“Herzliya Medical Center” Hospital invites you to undergo the most advanced non-invasive diagnostic procedure for examining the state of the heart vessels – Multispiral Computer Tomography of Coronary Vessels – Virtual Coronary Angiography.
What is MSCT or Virtual Coronary Angiography?
The world statistics say that from 30% to 50% of all diagnostic coronarography procedures does not end with further treatment (balloon angioplasty for removal of vessel stenosis). Consequently, in 50% of cases, this invasive procedure could be avoided for diagnosis. Here, the undoubted advantage of MSCT research comes to the fore: the physician receives 99% of the accuracy of the coronary and thoracic examination, the patient has no invasion and the risk of postoperative complications such as bleeding or mechanical damage to the vessel that can occur in diagnostic coronary angiography.
Herzliya Medical Center uses a modern 64-spiral tomograph, which makes slices up to 0,5 mm. (274 slices) with a time resolution from 0,1 to 0,5 seconds. The duration of the heart MSCT is up to 50 seconds, and the result of the study is several thousand images. Dozens of such procedures are successfully carried out daily. MSCT of the heart is the gold standard of non-invasive diagnosis of the state of the coronary vessels and the entire mediastinum. In our time it is already difficult to imagine a complete examination of the heart without this procedure. In addition, specialists recommend conducting Virtual Coronary Angiography also after aortocoronary shunting to determine changes in the heart vessels, as well as to clarify the diagnosis of coronary artery disease and the timely appointment of appropriate treatment, which helps to prevent a heart attack.
- Identification of stenoses of the coronary arteries
- Pain behind the sternum of unclear etiology, tingling in the heart, episodes of arrhythmia
- Evaluation of the state of coronary stents (for patients undergoing medical coronary angiography or CABG)
- Anomalies in the development of coronary arteries
- Controversial results of coronary angiography or duplex scanning of the heart with a load.
- If it is not possible to perform other diagnostic procedures, such as echocardiogram or MRI according to medical reasons
- A diagnosed form of atrial fibrillation, frequent extrasystoles
- Allergy to iodine-containing drugs
- Abnormal kidney function (Serum creatinine > 1.5 mg/dl (> 130 µmol/l)
- Bronchial asthma
- Patients younger than 40 or older than 70 are not allowed for this study without the referral from a cardiologist
The advantages of virtual coronary angiography in the “Herzliya Medical Center” hospital
- minimum terms: undergoing examination, including preliminary training and getting the results deciphered on the same day;
- low cost: in comparison with invasive methods of diagnosis, the cost of Virtual Coronary Angiography is much lower and acceptable for a larger number of those who are wishing to undergo cardiac examinations abroad;
- high informativeness: the study provides accurate data that serves as the basis for the diagnosis and appropriate treatment;
- ease of passage: the procedure does not require hospitalization, anesthesia, special training and it is completely safe for health;
- medical equipment: the study is carried out using a modern tomograph, the presence of which can not boast even Israeli public hospitals and not every Russian clinic;
- leading specialists: the results of the examination are analyzed by the leading cardiologists of Israel – Prof. Conen and Dr. Bar-Nof;
With the help of Virtual Coronarography, the doctor immediately receives an important information about the state of the heart vessels, which allows him to take timely measures to prevent myocardial infarction, reducing the risk of death. Since the study completely excludes invasion, it is carried out without anesthesia and hospitalization, MSCT of the heart is not tedious for the patient, pain and discomfort are absent. The probability of complications after this procedure is reduced to zero.
Of course, MSCT research cannot completely replace the usual coronary angiography, which allows not only to detect but also to eliminate stenosis of the vessel. Virtual coronary angiography is an excellent alternative to invasive methods of examination in the overwhelming majority of cases.
Preparation for examination
According to the feedback from our patients, Virtual Coronary angiography of the heart is easily tolerated and does not cause unpleasant sensations, so before the procedure try to calm down and relax as much as possible.
The study is performed on an empty stomach (it is required to be at least 4 hours before the procedure without food and, it is desirable, to exclude caffeinated products for 24 hours). At the beginning Dr. Bar-Nof will give you a clinical examination, the doctor must make sure that you do not have contraindications to the study. In some cases, you will be referred for a biochemical blood test and an ECG before the passage of Virtual Coronarography.
In addition, if the patient has a heart rate of more than 80 beats per minute, he will receive a drug from the group of beta-blockers slowing down the heartbeat before the procedure.
Then, the doctor will perform the introduction of contrast through the ulnar vein and the scan will begin. The receiving of images is synchronized with a certain phase of the cardiac cycle.
The whole procedure lasts approximately from 40 to 50 seconds. Once the virtual coronary angiography is over, you will meet the cardiologist Dr. Bar-Nof again, who will decipher the result of the study, give recommendations and prescribe the treatment if necessary. The result of your study (CD with a video recording of MSCT) and a written conclusion of a physician are given to the patient upon completion of the procedure, on the same day. Thus, for the entire diagnosis you will have one working day, including specialist consultations, laboratory tests and electrocardiography.
The cost of virtual coronary angiography
The cost of Virtual Coronary Angiography in the HMC is $1760
The cost of a biochemical blood test to check the functioning of the kidneys before the test is $225
The cost of an electrocardiogram is $65
Take advantage of this unique opportunity, pass an early diagnosis in the HMC to identify coronary artery disease. Do not forget that only with the help of Virtual Coronary Angiography is possible to prevent myocardial infarction, a disease that is the most frequent cause of death of the population to date.