Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Israel
According to statistics on acute myeloid leukemia treatment in Israel, 91% success of patients achieve stable remission, and more than half of the medical treatments conclude with a full recovery. Many patients faced with cancer prefer to be treated abroad, most of them choose Israel for this purpose. At Herzliya Medical Center Private Hospital, all the conditions are set for the diagnosis and treatment of any level of complexity.
Acute myeloid leukemia
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow tissue.
During the process of developing the disease, an uncontrolled cell proliferation and accumulation of immature hematopoietic cells in hematopoietic tissues occur, which inhibits the growth and development of healthy blood cells, leading to inhibition of normal hematopoiesis.
Acute Myeloid Leukemia is also known as: acute granulocytic leukemia. This disease refers to a rapidly progressive, often diagnosed among adults. Its subspecies depend on the level of cell differentiation. Acute myeloid leukemia in children is the second most common form of childhood leukemia.
Acute myeloid leukemia symptoms
Symptoms of acute myeloid leukemia in early stages may be similar to flu-like symptoms. Clinical manifestations may vary depending on what type of blood cell is damaged.
Patients with acute myeloid leukemia may develop the following ailments:
- temperature rise
- bone pain
- general lethargy and fatigue
- blanching of the skin
- frequent development of infections
- emergence of numerous bruises
- frequent nosebleeds
- bleeding gums
Diagnosis of acute myeloid leukemia
Signs of acute myeloid leukemia in Israeli hospitals lead to a variety of diagnostic tests which are:
- Advanced CBC. With this analysis, we can obtain data on the composition of the blood as well as reveal the presence of blasts (immature) cells that are normally found in the bone marrow and circulate in the bloodstream.
- A bone marrow biopsy. Based on the analysis of the blood the doctor can only assume the presence of leukemia, but to confirm the diagnosis a small amount of bone marrow cells is extracted. Then, the sample is sent to the laboratory.
- Puncture cerebrospinal fluid. In some cases it may be necessary to study the composition of cerebrospinal fluid to check for leukemia cells in it. During the procedure, a small needle is inserted into the spinal canal of the lower back is injected a sample is aspirated.
- If one is suspected of having AML, he/she is sent to an oncologist. The next step is to identify the subtype of leukemia, with a cytogenetic analysis of blood, which allows to determine the extent of cancer and classify subspecies.
Methods for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia in Israel
When choosing a method of treatment of acute myeloid leukemia in Israel a number of factors are taken into account, including leukemia subtype, age, general health and personal preferences of the patient. The process of the treatment of the disease is divided into two phases: induction and consolidation.
- Induction phase. During this phase of treatment the patient is assigned to intensive therapy with chemotherapeutic drugs. The purpose of this phase is to achieve remission by destroying diseased cells in hematopoietic tissues.
- Consolidation phase. The maintenance phase of the treatment is aimed at consolidating the results of the first phase and the destruction of the remaining leukemia cells. The main objective of consolidation is to reduce the risk of recurrence. During the consolidation phase chemotherapy drugs are applied.
At the time of chemotherapy in patients who are diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, hospitalization is required, since drugs in addition to damaged blood cells, destroy healthy ones as well. If chemotherapy was not effective enough, it is repeated.
In addition to cytostatics drugs other pharmaceuticals are also used. These drugs may be administered alone or in conjunction with chemotherapy to induce remission of AML subtype, called promyelocytic leukemia. These drugs attack leukemia cells with a specific gene mutation, destroying them or by stopping them from dividing.
Stem cell transplant
Transplantation of bone marrow is used in the consolidation phase. This procedure is much faster to restore healthy stem cells. Before bone marrow transplant patients receive higher doses of chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
HMC, Israel's leading private hospital, uses high therapy protocols for all types of cancer. Successful results for acute myeloid treatment in Israel have brought hundreds of medical tourists to Israel.